Recollections of an Early Schooling Experience

Wizelie St Jean

Education 200, Sec 06

Dr. Janet Leslie

March 21, 2014

Beginning of the year 1999, I remember sitting in my second grade class so excited because we’re getting ready for our first communion. It was such an amazing feeling knowing that we’re preparing for such a big day. My school, Our Lady Help of Christians was very big on communion. Communion was one of the most holiest and important days for our catholic school. The reason for this is because we’re taking the body and blood of Jesus Christ for the first time.

My second grade teacher made sure we understood how important this day was. She also made it fun. I used to look forward to coming to school everyday just to practice walking down the isle of our church. The year before that I sat in church and watched as my older brother received his communion for the first time, now it was my turn. My whole entire family was there to share this special moment with me. I had my mom, dad, brother, godmother, cousins and aunts by my side sitting in the church row with my name on it. Dressed up in a pretty white dress with my classmate Brian wearing an all white suit we walked down the church isle with the rest of our classmates.

I feel as though I remember this particular event because of so much love I felt that day from the school staff and my family. It was as though I got married. After the communion I had my white dress on. My parents rented out a place for my Communion party, where my family came to celebrate this special day with me. This experience made me want to become a teacher. The reason for this is because I would love to teach young children important things in life. My second grade teacher taught me at the age of seven the meaning and importance of my first communion. I myself would love to do something like that, see them grow, and succeed. Whether I’m teaching in a public, catholic, or charter school I want to see children develop into the best children they could be. I feel as though this experience is what made me want to be able to teach at a catholic school.