Lesson Plan #1                                                                         Name: Olivia Chak

Course: EDC 3000-02                                                              Professor: Juan Morales-Flores, PhD

Subject Matter: Literacy (Read Aloud)

Theme of topic: Halloween

Age of the Children/ Grade Level: 3-4 years old/Pre-K

Objectives:

• Children should be able to identify what animals or insects they see in the book.
  • Children should be able to recognize what sounds the animals or insects make.
  • Children should be able to explain the textures that they felt.

Materials:

• Title: The Very Busy Spider               Author: Eric Carle
  • Crayons
  • Markers
  • White Paper
  • Recorder

Procedure: (Sequence/Steps to follow to teach new concept(s)/skill(s)

Introduction: (Motivation and or Anticipatory Setting)

• The theme that they are learning is “Halloween”, so I brought in a book to read to them called The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle, since spiders are one of the insects they talk about during this holiday.
  • “Boys and girls, today I am going to read a book to you called The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle.”

Delivery or Presentation of new concept(s)/skill(s):

Step 1: I will read the book to the children called The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle.

Step 2: As I read the first 2 pages of the book, I will ask the children, “Boys and girls what do

you see in the picture?”

Step 3: Comprehension questions:

• “Who would like to feel the spider’s web?”
  • “Who can tell me how the spider web feels?”              

Step 4: I will continue reading the next 2 pages.

Step 5: Comprehension questions:

• “What animals have you seen so far?”
  • “What sounds do they make?”

Step 6: I will finish reading the book.

Step 7: Comprehension question: “Boys and girls, can you tell me what happened to the spider

web in the end?”

Closure (Summary/ Wrapping up the Lesson)

• The children will able to tell me what animals the see while I am asking them a comprehension question.
  • The children will be able to tell me what sounds the different animals or insects made.
  • The children will also be able to tell me the difference between the textures that they felt of the spider web compared to the paper.

Example: “The paper is smooth and the spider web is bumpy.”

Assessment/Evaluation of the Children:

• I will ask some comprehension questions that will relate to the objectives.
  • I will also evaluate the children by asking children to draw what they remembered from the book.

Reflection:

How did the lesson go? (Describe it)

• The lesson went well surprisingly. The children were very engaged while I was reading The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle. As I started to read to the children, I was comfortable reading because it wasn’t my first time. I had practiced several times, so I knew that I was confident while reading to the children. I loved reading the book and I thought my lesson was better than I intended it to be. One child wanted me to read the book to her again because she simply loved the fact that she could feel the spider web growing through each page that I read.

What did you like the most? (Your strengths)

• What I liked most about my lesson was that the children were really engaged and they used their senses. One girl touched the spider web and felt that it was bumpy; it helped cause a chain reaction because soon enough all of the children wanted to touch the spider web.

What did you like the least? (Your areas of improvement)

• What I liked the least about my lesson was that I didn’t explain the parts of a book. I could improve by making sure that the children all know the parts of a book.

Would you teach it exactly the same way next time you have to do a lesson similar to this one?

• I would definitely try to teach a lesson similar to my read aloud because I thought my lesson went well.

What would you change/do differently to improve the lesson?

• I would improve my lesson by explaining the parts of a book. For example, the cover has a title and an author, the bind holds the pages together and etc.