Name: Olivia Chak   

Date: September 16, 2013

Log#1 

Log 1: First impressions

In order to describe your impressions of the first day at your field placement answer the following questions. Write out each question and then answer it. If the question does not apply to your setting write the question and answer it with NA (Not Applicable).

1. Name of the school/center and where it is located?

The school is P.S. 215 and it is located at 415 Avenue S, Brooklyn, NY 11223

2. What kind of program is it? (Day care, public school, Head Start, summer camp, UPK…)

This is a public school.

3. How many children are in your class? Describe the socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds of

the children. How many boys and girls? What age group(s) is your class?

There are 16 children in my class. The ethnic backgrounds of the children are diverse. There are  

children who are Hispanic, Russian, Chinese, and etc. The age group of my class is 3-4 years old.

4. How many teachers and other adults are in your class?

There is one teacher and one Paraprofessional educator in my cooperating class.

5. Who introduced you and how did he/she introduce you to the children?

The teacher, Mrs. Bugayer introduced me to the class while the class was singing their morning 

songs.

6. How will the children address you?

The children addressed me as Miss Chak.

7. How do you about this feel?

I feel great about this class because I can see all the children’s bright smiling faces when they   

greet me. I also see them sounding out my last name while I’m observing them.

8. Are any of the children showing stress in their adjustment to school and are you aware of any

obvious problem a child is having? (ie. Crying, how does the teacher address this?)

There were a couple of children who were showing stress in their adjustment towards school. For

an example, one boy was screaming and crying ad just kept saying, “No, no, no!” I saw that e did

not want to go inside the classroom. After a while he stopped, but he started to cry more and

more while he asked for his mother. I could tell that he was having a hard time adjusting because

when he started to speak, he spoke in Spanish. The teacher Mrs. Bugayer had a translator to her

for an hour.

9. Are there any children with special needs in your class? (Find out from your cooperating

teacher)

There was one child in the class room who could not comprehend what was happening.

10. Describe the room (or the space where you will be spending most of your time -- is it arranged 

in learning centers (describe), is there enough space for the children's activities, what is the

lighting like, describe the noise level (good noise/bad noise)

The room is arranged into learning centers such as dramatic play area, block center, clay center, 

reading center, puppet center and rug area. Children still have tables that are separated into

groups. The children used these tables for breakfast, and group activities. There is enough room

for children to do their activities. The lighting is bright and sufficient enough for children to

see. The noise level is very moderate because I could hear myself speaking to the teacher

calmly without having to raise my tone.

11. What materials are made available to the children? Can the children get them on their own?

All of the items in the centers are made available for the children to get on their own.

For example:

• Blocks
  • Extra Large Foam Legos
  • Dolls
  • Puppets
  • Books
  • Connectors
  • Kitchen play

12. What was the teacher's reaction when you told him/her what you need to do with the children

in order to meet the requirements for this course?

The teacher told me to come back on Monday, but as soon as she found out she could use

my assistance she asked for me to stay for as long as I could.

13. Describe what your role in the class will be?

My role in the classroom is to assist my cooperating teacher as well as observing ways that  

could help benefit me to being a great successful teacher.

14. How do you feel being in this classroom?  Explain.

I feel that this classroom has a great atmosphere and I looked forward to doing field work for

this class.

15. Classroom schedule: Find out what the classroom schedule is for the days that you will be

there. Include this schedule in this log and keep a copy if it for yourself.

Pre-K 209

Daily Routines

AM

Breakfast

Morning Routine

Music/Movement

Morning Circle

Center

Closing

PM

Afternoon Routine

Lunch

Afternoon Circle

Centers

Music/Movement

Closing

Child Study: The primary focus of your field work
a. Select one child in your class to observe for the rest of the semester
b. All of the following logs are to be based on your observations of your particular child 
c. Be sure that the child you select for your study is scheduled to be present when you are there -

ask the teacher.
d. Note: this does not mean you are to ignore the rest of the children, you are to work appropriately

with all the children but the focus of your work is to be on a particular child and how that child

interacts with others and his/her environment.