Nicholas DePalo                                                                                       11/30/12

Science Lesson Plan

EDC 30

Subject Matter: Earth Science

Theme or topic: Sink or Float

Age of the Children/Grade Level: 4 – 5 years old (Pre-K)

Objective: Children will be able to understand the difference between the terms “sink” and “float”. Children will also be able to tall what items will sink and what items will float.

Materials: The materials include water, a bowl, an apple, pennies, wooden sticks, cotton balls, a rubber duck, markers, and a piece of oak tag.

Procedures: (Motivation and/or Anticipatory Setting): Introduce the topic of “sink or float” to the children.

Delivery or Presentation of new concept(s)/skill(s)

Step #1: I will explain to the children about the meaning of the terms “sink” and “float”.

Step #2: Next, we will make a prediction chart using the markers and the piece of oak tag. The chart will have the name and picture of the item, the children’s predictions, and if the item actually sinks or floats.

Step #3: I will have the children place the items in the water one by one to see if they sink or float. We will then mark down on the chart what happens.

Step #4: After the children put each item in the water, I will explain to them why it sank or why it floated.

Step #5: After the lesson is over, we will see if the children’s predictions matched what actually happened.

Closure: (Summary/Wrapping Up the Lesson): I will ask the children about why they think their predictions were correct or incorrect.

Assessment of the Children: I will have the children sit in a circle area and I will ask them questions about what they did, what they learned, and what they liked.

Reflection

The “sink and float” lesson that I did with my Pre-K class went very well. The children were able to learn about why things sink or why things float. They also enjoyed the part of the lesson where I allowed them to put the items in the water. The parts of the lesson that I liked (or the strengths) were when the children made their predications on what will happen to the item and when the children had the chance to put the objects in the water. The making of the predictions allowed for the children to use their brain to think about why something may happen. When the children had the chance to put the objects in the water, they were having lots of gun while learning at the same time. There were some parts of the lesson that were in need for improvement. Some of these parts were when the children started to not pay attention and when they got a little crazy putting the objects in the water. At sometimes in the lesson, the children would not pay attention to the lesson and they would pay attention to other things around the classroom. When the children got a little crazy putting the items in the water, I had to calm them down a little bit. Next time I do a lesson with a class, I would do the same lesson but in a different way. What I mean is that I will still do the “sink or float” lesson but I will approach it in a different way. If I had to change or do something different to improve my lesson, I would probably ask some different questions and explain the lesson in a different way. I would ask different questions because I believe that the children would be able to answer a variety of questions. I would explain the lesson in a different way because I think I can explain some things in a different and interesting way. Overall, the lesson was fun to conduct and the childfren had a lot of fun doing it. I also believe that the children were able to get a better perspective on why things sink and why they float.