Mukumaoy Olimjonova

March 25, 2015

Edc90A4

Reading response#2

The articles "The Risks of Reward" by Alief Kohn and "Can People Really Be Motivated" by Dave Blum, both have major similarities. When reading both articles I made some connections between two. Each article examines the value of using rewards and punishments use in children and how it affects children's behavior as well as adults.

The article "Can People Really Be Motivated" discusses how reward leads to the motivation of doing something. Dave Blum in his article points out to the belief of doing something while expecting of getting reward increases the motivation. He believes that this behavior of motivation manipulates people and they do not put all their effort on it. He believes there are five reasons why rewards fail.  First is reward and punishment, as an example he talks about parent and child relationship. He says how reward is easily given and easily taken away from the children. The second reason is rewards rupture relationships. He talks how today in our world in job competition many  workers see each other as a obstacle for the reward. The third reason is rewards ignore reasons. He believes how thinking is lost when reward is shown, children stop thinking and they only think of getting the reward. The forth reason is reward discourages risk taking. Isn't it true when a reward is shown we do not want to take  risk to not lose the reward which we are about to take. And the last reason is reward affect intrinsic motivation which is  extrinsic motivation decreases the interest in the task for the following reasons. The control of it and worth of it. We believe that if we do something for geting something, we get the impression  that it is not important or unworthy. 

In P.S 321, my cooperating teacher motivates children without using rewards. She work sand comes up with many ideas that  are suitable for her class and works for them. All children so far get motivation on doing something from each other. And children listen carefully when the main teacher talks or announces something important for children. Many children are  interested on the task when they work together.

While in the article "The Risk of Rewards" by Kohn discusses how parents who avoid punishing  turn to the use of rewards. He says that the offer of reward can bring temporary compliance, but it is not helping children become responsible or better learners. He believes rewarding and at the same time punishing children won't help them to gather better behaviors or achieve the goals, so it should be grown from the inside.He mentions people who expect a reward for completing a task do not perform well as those who expect nothing. He points out that rewards cause people to lose interest in whatever they were rewarded for doing and people who are offered rewards  just choose  the easier path to get the reward. I believe that rewarding children does not help at all, it makes children to just want the reward. While in the absence of rewards children do not pick a task which they easily can complete instead they pick it randomly. He believes that reward and punishments are unnecessary, so instead we should focus on productive way of teaching.

In my class while I observed I saw different methods which main teacher  use. So far I observed that  main teacher when rewarding children she rewards them all at the same time. Like once in a greeting circle I saw that children behaved really well and she rewarded them by putting one cube in a jar and letting children know about it. But when punishment comes children in my class have their own way of punishment which is their "UPS" chair.  Whoever misbehaves she sends children to the chair and children actually listen and go seat there while thinking.In my view the UPS chair is the way of punishing children and also while children get punishment they are taken some time out from their center time.When it comes to the motivation, I think children are motivated by their peers. So far I learned that children attached to their classmates and sometimes copy and get motivation from them. Like Alfie Khan believed that it is unnecessary to reward children for their work, because after all children are more likely to do the same thing without expecting anything.

I think that both articles have their own points which are really important for educators to know. This articles taught me how we use  rewards and punishment to control children's behavior and get things done without knowing the real consequences. I think that my cooperating teacher controls, rewards and motivates children really well. So far I learned that children work hard, learn and think without getting reward.