Mukumaoy Olimjonova

May 1, 2015

Edc90A4

Log 6

Transition period of K-222 usually goes very calmly and peacefully. Students in the classroom are aware of their schedule and often the main teacher reminds the children five minutes earlier of the next activity. Therefore, children do not have any problem going to the next activity and their schedule is well organized so that children do not wait for the next activity to come. I got to observe Hayley and student M during the transition time to snack time.

Hayley was sitting quietly at her table, working and coloring her drawings in art, as well communicating with the students next to her. When she heard the teacher announcing the class of the next activity, Hayley stopped and paid her attention to the teacher. When the main teacher said, "Finish up, you will have snack" 5 minutes earlier. Hayley started putting her last marks on her paper and began cleaning her table. She putted away the crayons which she used in the container and closed her sketch book. Than she stood up and walked with her sketch book in to the rug area where she placed her book in the basket. Then she returned back at her seat and  she took out the basket from under her table and placed it on top in the center of the table. While preparing for the snack she told her friends from the same table "finish it up". Then she took her zip lock bag from the basket where she had her snack. During this time she looked very satisfied and happy. Then she sat quietly and looked at everyone moving around to get their snack out and putting their books back in the basket. At that time she had her snack open and waited about a minute. Then the teacher announced that they could start. During this whole time the main teacher guided children and reminded them of upcoming events and activities.

My case study child, Hayley seemed to be aware of the transition period or time and she knew what to do next very well. Hayley knew what K-222 should do, once the main teacher announced  the time that was left for children to finish their work. Hayley seemed patient and was prepared for the transition. I think that transition period was successful because the main teacher always follows the schedule and always tells children if there are any changes. And importantly she had created the routine which is established for students to follow the future directions.

M was coloring her drawings when the main teacher announced the upcoming activity. M started to hurry and continued to color her drawing, a flower ,which she drew in  art. She started using crayons so fast and moved her hand faster after hearing the teacher. While coloring she also communicated with her friends. When her table started to get ready for the snack, M was still coloring and she seemed worried and started to hurry. She closed her sketch book and placed it in the basket. Then she came back to her table and started looking for her snack in the basket. At that time everyone in the classroom had already started eating their snack and communicating with each other. M seemed upset that she was not ready because she saw her friends were eating and talking while she was busy opening her snack. After she opened her snack she breathed heavily. It seemed that it was a relief for her to catch up with her friends and talk with them. Once she was set she seemed happy and continued talking with others from the same table or she would get up and would walk over to the other table and come back to her seat again. 

I learned that student M seemed to be having problem to move on for the next activity. She had a hard time to end the activity in which she was engaged. But once it was already time for children to have a snack, she started rushing and putting her book away. Also I learned that M likes to take her time and does not end the activity at the time it was told. However, she caught up with others and moved in to snack.

As the comparison between Hayley and student M, I believe both of them knew well about their roles during the transition time, however they acted differently. I believe that Hayley had a better transition time than the student M, because once Hayley heard the teacher's announcement she started putting away her stuff and getting ready. While student M had wasted her time and rushed to finish her work. Student M during the activity socialized with her friends more often, and she did not start working once they were told to do. Also I believe that that Hayley acted more responsibly than student M. Because she had acted faster and prepared herself for the activity. I believe that the transition was successful all because of the teacher. Because she is the one who manages and prepares everything for the class. 

However, I found some similarities that the main teacher uses in her class that are pointed out in the article "Transition Period" by Elisabeth Hirsch. For example, " once the routines are established children will have no problem with future orientation" and " clearly defined tasks will avoid many difficulties". These points that I read my teacher uses in her class. She makes sure that her students have better understanding and adaptation so they could learn and easy move on.