Kingsborough Community College

Education Program

EDC 9307 – Supervised Instructional Experience in Education II

Nancy Leggio, Field Supervisor

Lesson Plan # 1

Student’s Name: Melimaril Fernandez

Date of Lesson: October 22, 2014

Name of Lesson: Things We Buy at the Fruit Market

Curriculum Area: Literacy

Theme: The Fruit Market

Number of Children: 4 to 6 children

Age Range: 3 to 4 years old

Materials Needed: Chart Paper, Markers, and the book Go, Go, Grapes by April Pulley Sayre, and real fruit (1 green apple, 1 red apple, 1 yellow apple, 1 orange, 1 kiwi, 1 peach, 1 pear).

Location: The lesson will take place in the block area.

Amount of Time Needed: This lesson will be 15-20 minutes long.

Storage & Display Needs: The chart will be placed on the big clipboard facing the children.

__________________________________________________________________

Goals/Objectives

• What is the aim/purpose of the lesson?

The purpose of this lesson is to use the children’s own experiences at the fruit market to provide ideas and create an experience chart.

• How will this lesson encourage the children’s physical, intellectual, emotional, and social development? (P.I.E.S.)

P – As I am writing the children’s responses, the children will use visual discrimination skills to observe the words being formed. They will have a visual of the actual fruit. The children will also be using their senses to realize the differences among fruits.

I – By building an experience chart with me, the children will be using their memory/recall skills. As I am writing their responses, the children will be seeing speech in print form. They will be able to use letter recognition to help me read out each letter. There will be words some children know while others don't, so there might be some vocabulary expansion. As I write the words on the chart, I will sound out each word. This will help the children to make letter/sound connections. 

E – The children will feel a sense of accomplishment when they see that their idea was written on a chart. The children will reveal their interests and preferences because their responses could be the fruit that they like best.

S – The children will be working together on a common goal- creating an experience chart. They will be taking turns in speaking out their responses. The children will be exchanging ideas with one another and me. They will be sharing the props I present them with. They will be sharing the same space.

Presentation

• How will you introduce the lesson?

I will tell the children “I am going to read: Go, Go Grapes, and then I would like to talk about when YOU go to the fruit market and what fruits you buy there.”

• Procedure (Please be very detailed.  Include how you will distribute/arrange materials; all information and directions; and each step of the lesson):

After the children are seated facing the chart and myself, I would like to introduce my teacher Nancy, and for the children to introduce themselves. Then I will tell the children about the walk I went on yesterday. I will tell them that I went to the fruit market and bought some things. "I am going to need your help naming these fruits." I will take the fruits out of the bin and pass them to the children so they can see, smell, and feel them. The children will be instructed not to eat these fruits for health reasons (allergies, fruits won't be clean, etc.) I will then introduce the title of the chart and point to each word while reading the title. Next I will ask the children to name the present fruits. I will also ask them to name any other fruits they know are sold at the market. As the children are naming the fruits, I will be writing them on the chart. For the shorter words, I will be spelling them out. As for the longer words, I will only be sounding them out.

• What questions (both factual and open-ended) will you ask during the lesson?
  • What fruit do you like best?
  • What fruits do you eat at home?
  • Who goes to buy the fruit?
  • Do you go with them?

Conclusion

• How will the lesson come to a close?
    I will read the words on the list that the children have provided one more time pointing to each. Hopefully, they will recall another word they may have forgotten to mention.

• How will you handle clean-up?
    I will ask one of the children to help me take the chart down.

• How will you handle the transition to the children’s next activity or routine?

Each child should still be holding a fruit. As I call their names, they will bring each fruit to me. At that point I will be asking them what center they would like to play in as it will be Choice Time.

Evaluation

• Did you achieve your goals for this lesson?  (Yes, no, somewhat?)

I did achieve my main goal: creating an experience chart. The children gave lots of ideas. I had to push for a few responses and take some suggestions from my professor, but they did a very good job.

• How did the children respond to the lesson?  What did they say/do? 

They weren’t as excited as I thought they would be. Still, they had a good time during the lesson. A couple of them had even declined my offer to read a story to them for my read aloud.

• Were there any unexpected problems, or unforeseen outcomes?

Thankfully, the only small issues aside from my personal mistakes, were that I forgot my markers in my purse. Also the original location I decided to work with was being occupied by children at play.

• How will you do this lesson next time?  Please describe the specific changes you will make.  Include all recommendations and conference feedback from your field supervisor.

One of the children was repetitive. She kept suggested apple to the list many times but it was already on the list. I always answered “No, we already have that.” Instead I should be more positive and say “Good guess, thank you. We already have that. Can you think of a different one?” When reading to the children I should read louder and with more expression. I should also explain the book is fruit market related. I should talk more about the people that work there, the types of baskets that hold the fruits at the market. I should have asked questions and discussed the book with the children before taking out the props. I should have read the title to the children of the chart, while pointing to each word. I should have explained the lesson better, telling them that I was going to write down the names of the fruits they told me. I should’ve sounded out the words more and spelled out the shorter words like kiwi or apple. Also I should’ve mentioned the common letters in the words. I should’ve opened the book again if the children got quiet or couldn’t think of any other fruits. I should practice more reading aloud. The transition went very well. 

• How did you feel about this lesson?  What did you learn from this experience?

I enjoyed making the experience chart with the children because it gave them a chance to put their ideas on paper. I feel like they were excited because they saw their words that I was writing on the chart.