Kingsborough Community College

Education Program

EDC 9307 – Supervised Instructional Experience in Education II

Nancy Leggio, Field Supervisor

Lesson Plan # _2_

Student’s Name: Melimaril Fernandez

Date of Lesson: October 29, 2014

Name of Lesson: Our Favorite Fruit

Curriculum Area: Math

Theme: The Fruit Market

Number of Children: 4 to 6 children

Age Range: 3 to 5 years old.

Materials Needed: Large Chart Paper, Markers, Poster Board Paper, Scissors, and Velcro.

Location: The lesson will take place in the Block Area.

Amount of Time Needed: 15-20 minutes.

Storage & Display Needs: The chart paper will be taped on the wall facing the children in the bloc area.

__________________________________________________________________

Goals/Objectives

1. 1.   What is the aim/purpose of the lesson?
    The children will help me create a graph based on their favorite fruit.

1. 2.   How will this lesson encourage the children’s physical, intellectual, emotional, and social development? (P.I.E.S.)

P – The children will be walking up to the graph to place the small bar on the line with their choice of fruit-working on their gross and fine motor skills. The act of placing the bar will also require eye-hand coordination.

I – The children will be working with sizes and quantities-which fruit is bigger? Which fruit do most friends like? Which fruit do fewer friends like? How many friends like apples? Oranges? Strawberries? The children will learn new math vocabulary-highest, shortest, tallest, smallest, least, most, etc…

E – Self-esteem- the children's opinion matters and is most important to create the graph. Their interests and preferences are going to be asked and taken into consideration.

S – The children will be taking turns placing the bars on the graph. They will be exchanging ideas. The children will be a part of a group working towards a common goal-completing the bar graph. The children are expected to show respect for each other’s feelings.

Presentation

1. 3.   How will you introduce the lesson?

"Last week, I read a story to some of you. The book was Go, Go Grapes. It is about going to the Fruit Market and what we buy when we go there. Today, I would like to talk about YOUR favorite fruit."

1. 4.   Procedure (Please be very detailed.  Include how you will distribute/arrange materials; all information and directions; and each step of the lesson):

As soon as the students are seated, I will show them the graph. I will remind them what a graph is-since they learned about it the previous week. I will explain that each bar means one person. On the side of the graph will be how many friends in total like the fruit. I will also explain that the bars will start from the bottom and one on top of the other. Next I will count on the number line with the children, pointing to each number as they count. I will tell them we are going to complete the graph as a group. Then I will go around asking the children which fruit is their favorite of the choices on the graph. Each child will stand up and I will hand them one of the bars for them to put on the graph. When the students are finished I will then ask Mrs. A., Mrs. G., and Professor L their favorites. Then together with the children I will re-count the numbers of each fruit.

1. 5.   What questions (both factual and open-ended) will you ask during the lesson?
    1. a.    How many friends like apples?
    2. b.   How many friends like oranges?
    3. c.    How many friends like strawberries?
    4. d.    Which fruit do our friends like best?
    5. e.    Which fruit do our friends like least?
    6. f.     Which fruit is bigger?
    7. g.    Which fruit is smaller?

Conclusion

1. 6.   How will the lesson come to a close?
    The children and I will have a discussion of the different interests among their friends.

1. 7.   How will you handle clean-up?
    Each child ill remove a bar from the graph and place it in the baggy. I will remove the chart paper from the clipboard.

1. 8.   How will you handle the transition to the children’s next activity or routine?
    The children will help me remove the bars from the graph. I will then ask them one by one where they would like to play.

Evaluation

1. 1.   Did you achieve your goals for this lesson?  (Yes, no, somewhat?)

Yes, the goal was to create a graph with the children’s favorite fruit.

1. 2.   How did the children respond to the lesson?  What did they say/do?

The energy between the children was very positive. They were all very eager to answer but patiently awaited their turn. When the graph was complete, I prompted for the children to count how many each fruit had. On the apple we counted three, the orange had two, and strawberry had five. I would start them off at 1, and they would take it from there. Then I suggested how many “players” we had in total. Again, I started them off at 1 and they continued to count.

1. 3.   Were there any unexpected problems, or unforeseen outcomes?

I did get stuck towards the end of the lesson. I forgot what questions I planned to ask.

1. 4.   How will you do this lesson next time?  Please describe the specific changes you will make.  Include all recommendations and conference feedback from your field supervisor.

Next time, I will remind the children of my theme with them and the book I read to some of them. My pictures for the fruits will be smaller and the words corresponding to the fruit bigger. I will use different math vocabulary. I will remember to review the number line. I will ask “How many so far?” during the graph so the children see the number is getting bigger. Other than that, I received great responses from the children, they waited their turns. The children were eager and positive. They were excited that their preferences and interests were valued. The children were developing on their fine motor skills. The children were using number recognition. I was bilingual at one point with one of the children.

1. 5.   How did you feel about this lesson?  What did you learn from this experience?

I really enjoyed making this graph with the children. I believe their positive attitude and great response in general towards the lesson was what gave me the most confidence. I learned that the children really enjoy working on something when their opinion is considered. They also enjoy that sense of independence (placing the bar on the graph).