Lauren Frisone

Oct 4, 2011

Hum 81

Prof. Katz

Book Review: Traditional Fantasy

The three Billy Goats Gruff, by Stephen Carpenter. This book is great for the kids because the moral behind it. It teaches the children that with persistence you will and can proceed to get what you want. No matter how scary or big the situation may be. 

This book will probably make the children happy because in the end of the story the goats ( good guys) beat the Troll (bad guy). The good guy always wins at the end, as they say. I also feel that this book is about bullying. It can teach the kids that if you have confidence in yourself you can overcome any obstacle. The troll was obviously the bully and he was trying to scare away the goats.

I would use this book in my classroom, I would have the kids use building blocks to build a bridge. Have students take turn playing parts from the book, of each billy goat and the troll. That way when physically acting out the part they can understand the true meaning (moral) to the story.They can also use costumes to play charters or either make masks for each character they want to play.

The pictures were decent but not great the story itself, was truly meaningfull.