Lauren Frisone

Oct 2011

EDC31

Prof. Pinzone

Geography of New York State Lesson

Grade3-4 

20 Minute Lesson

Objective:

My objective for this lesson is the children to learn about the geography of New York. My goal is for the kids to experience hands on with some of the terrain New York has, by molding, coloring & painting: hills, plateaus, rivers, mountains, lakes, forest & farmland. This way the kids can get a broader idea of what theses words literally mean & connecting the words to tangible geography of the area.

Also another goal is for the children to learn the vocabulary described in the geography of New York. Teaching the children how to work as team (together)

Vocabulary:

• Geography-The natural features of the earth's surface.
  • Plateau-An elevated level expanse of land.
  • Atmosphere- The air or climate in a specific place

Materials:

• For this project well be using large 3D Oaktag,as the earths surface. 
  • Then well need white magic mold, for the kids to mold mountains, hills, trees, ect… 
  • We will also be using actual grass and sticks for certain areas. You will need a map of new york state geography. 
  • Last, you'll need paint, brushes, markers ect…

Motivation:

To help motivate the kids I will be showing them different photos and maps of New York I will be reading from a book: National Geographic of New York. 

Procedure 

First, I will read some pages out of National geographic about New York's terrain

Then I will show the kids a geographical map of New York

Then I will have them all sit on the floor with all of the supplies and explain to the kids that they will be working together as a team to create a map/ similar to the one I was showing them earlier. They will break off into to a few different team: drawers ( to map out where they will be placing the specific geographic) The other group will be in charge of molding the hills and mountains, the other group can sculpt the rivers and lakes. lastly the other group will be in charge of painting and coloring the molded geographic, and another group can be in charge of the grass and forest making with sticks and leaves. All together they will be putting the objects on the 3D (earths surface).

Student Evaluation:

Did you find it easy to work together as a team?

Could you figure out the geographic easily on the real State map?

Do you understand what type of geographic terrain is on New York State?

Follow up lesson, can be for the children to present their project to the class, as a team in what their responsibilities were & how they executed their project