Games Using Shakers:Music Plan

Session 5

St. Bernards

Ages: 4-5/ Pre K

Objective:

The purpose of this lesson plan is for the children to demonstrate using shakers to find the beat to a chant. As the children join in the musical activity, they will demonstrate with their shakers finding the beat to the chant. The music activity I will teach the children about musical beats and tempo by using the shakers. At the end of this activity the students will be able to listen and follow a steady beat.This will help to acknowledge the children on their social, emotional, physical & Intellectual Skills.

Materials :

• Shakers
  • Recorder 
  • Body movement

Location:

Back of the class room

Procedure:

Warm up: We will start by by singing the the familiar greeting song:

• "Ha, ha this a-way" (To introduce the children to help become familiar with each other & to warm up/recognize their singing voice.
  • "Clap,clap,clap your hands" ( to recognize their regular speaking voice for the chant & help to remember how to demonstrate finding the beats using percussion on their bodies by either clapping their hands to the chant or by tapping their friends backs ect…)
  • Next I will Introduce a new Song that the children will demonstrate the beat using the shakers in a new musical activity. (the musical activity)

•Song:  "Tommy Shakes Up" In place of ("Tommy Thumbs Up")

I will sing the song first to the children in my singing voice.

Then I will have the children Mimic the song with me the second time around.

Does anyone know what shakers ( Maracas) are ?  

They are Instrument that are used in traditional Mexican music.

They make a familiar sound ( shake the shakers)

Can anyone tell me what kind of animal may make a similar noise? (snake)

Now will will play a game using our shakers to the song "Tommy Shakes Up" Every time I sing the song and I mention the word shake followed by the action 

• As we start the song the children will shake (1 shake to set the beat to the song) 

" Tommy shakes up" ( shake up high will the shakers )

Tommy shakes down ( Shake them down to the floor)

Tommy shakes While dancing all the way through town ( Children will start to form a line while dancing with shakers to demonstrate them, dancing through the town)

Conclusion:

Excellent Job today boys & girls!!

Can everyone show me how they found the beat today using the shakers? ( let them show you !)

Evaluation:

1)The children demonstrated finding the beat with their shakers to the song and in the musical activity.There were no difficulties really except for the fact when the children were using the shakers to the song, they found it a little difficult to shake the shakers exactly right for every beat.

2)To improve this lesson plan, I would find  A better activity to find the beat with the shakers

3)I would like to try a musical activity where the kids aren't just using the instrument to find the beat, but use more gross motor skills.