Auditory Discrimination & Auditory Sequencing Activities

Pitch & Music

Session 7

St Bernards School

Ages (4-5) Pre K

Materials:

• Recorder
  • Voices

Classroom Activity

Objective :

The purpose of this lesson plan is for the children to demonstrate the pitch in an Auditory Sequencing activities.

Remember & repeat order of spoken words in a series accurately.The students will experience a change in dynamics that will also be visually represented by the children's changing body language or movements, when singing loudly & softly. They will be able to demonstrate this in a musical activity.The students will sing "If All of the Raindrops..."

The students will demonstrate understanding of dynamics by singing part of the song loudly and repeating the song and singing that same part softly.The students will use their arms when singing loudly and crouch down when singing softly.

Procedures:

I will discuss with students how music can be played loudly and softly and that students can sing loudly and softly.

I will teach the children "If All of the Raindrops..." using regular singing voice.

I will also explain what louder is and what is softer to the children so they will demonstrate it back to me.

I will explain that singers use their voices to make certain parts of the song louder or softer. 

I  continue by explaining that during the "uh uh uh uh" portion of the song students will sing it louder and use their arms to express how that part of the song is louder. 

I will explain that singers can also use their voices to make certain parts of the song softer. 

This time during the "uh uh uh uh" portion of the song students will sing softly and crouch down to demonstrate how that part of the song is softer.

I will sing the song first:

If All the Raindrops...

If all of the raindrops were candy and ice cream

Oh what a rain it would be.

I'd stand outside with my mouth open wide

uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

Oh what a rain it would be. 

Now we are all sining the song together ready 1,2,3 & begin

(SIng Raindrops)

Good now were going to add movement to the song!

When you hear louder sounds or singing loud how can you show me with your hands what loud looks like? Streach hand all the way high in the air.

So when the sound you hear in softer, like a whisper can you show me with your hand how you would show me softer? (Crowch down to the floor slowly)

So when we sing the song raindrops, the entire song we will sing in a softer voice like this… ( show them softer)

Then the part " uh uh uh uh uh" we will sing louder. But we have to use our movements for the different voices

demonstrate activity with the children.

Ready 1, 2, 3 start Rain drops

Oh what a rain it would be.

uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

Oh what a rain it would be. 

Evaluation:

The teacher will lead the students in singing the song 3 more times - - once using normal voices,then Loud voice & last using a soft voice. I can listen for the changes in dynamics and watch if the children change positions as the dynamics change. If the students seem to have a fairly good understanding of the process, I can use suggestions from the students about different foods that could make the raindrops.