Philosophy Statement

Lauren  Frisone

“While a significant part of learning certainly comes from teaching – but good teaching and by good teachers – a major measure comes from exploration, from reinventing the wheel and finding out for oneself.” -- Founder and Director of the MIT Media Lab, Nicholas Negroponte

This is an inside look to my personal journey as a student teacher, primarily focusing on my strong personal outlook and style of teaching. I am a strong advocate of hands-on learning and diversifying learning techniques in my classroom. I' am dedicated to engaging my future students in a project-directed and hands-on educational environment, by allowing children to learn in a way that empowers them and challenges their way of thinking. I believe students will achieve academic success and life long skills to provide an enjoyable and memorable educational experience which is needed to progress in a very satisfying future. Throughout my journey I have came to the conclusion that the philosophy of learning I want to project stems from our own instinctive disposition. Primitively it is in our human nature to explore and discover to completely understand from our own personal experiences. Looking from a child's point of view, that to actually maintain information and completely understand it, they must go through the process and experience learning by physically and mentally completing a task. By, tangibly going through the motions the experience will be much more satisfying, obtained and will build skills of critical and creative thinking. Creative thinking to me is crucial in a child's education and development.

By having our students engaged in activities based upon the standards we can obtain a classroom of exploration, discovery and most imperative FUN! If our children are enjoying the process but also obtaining knowledge from the task than we are fulfilling our roles as educators. All people will learn from going through the actual process, they will most likely remember instances and can use critical thinking in order to solve problems and resolutions. Our brains in that instance will be able to differentiate and retrieve other ways to manipulate information in their own way. There are many benefits from learning hands-on. I strongly believe in letting children explore the information needed to fit our standards with productive and enjoyable learning experiences. My method of teaching derives from how personally need to learn in order to develop and grow educationally.
Each child to me is unique, learn at their own pace and obtain knowledge in their own way, but all children will learn from a hands-on education, assisting in theta own personal attributes, talents and passions.

My method to hands-on teaching strategies are designed to take students from their books and out of their seats and from their familiar ways of thinking. My idea of hands-on learning is to have the students involved entirely with whatever the theme for the curriculum might be. I want them using their hands, getting a little messy and exploring elements and thinking out of the box. I want their creativity and ideas to help reflect my classroom. Though, we have standard guidelines there is ways that no matter what subject is the focus there are still ways to incorporate a lesson which has the children involved and participating. My method includes a quick review or direction to what the activity will entail and from there on the students will be working either together or individually depending on the task. I will provide materials and tools to explore and discover. The activities will be project-based and for the most part open-ended. These strategies will drastically improve engagement in the classroom, productivity and enthusiasm towards learning, which is my goal to having a happy classroom!

To be able to teach children successfully in a way that will in all aspects assist children's development, growth, skills and tools to carry throughout their life is derived from the passion of the teacher. The teacher is the catalyst for hands-on engagement.

"Among the native activities of the young are some that work towards accommodation, assimilation, reproduction and others work towards exploration, discovery and creation, and that "there are an indefinite number of original or instinctive activities, which are organized into interests and dispositions according to the situations to which they respond." (William Mc Dougall)