Chauntele Jefferson
EDC20
Observation of a classroom

I chose to visit P.S. 323 because that is the school I sometimes voluteer at. I work with kindergarten and know the kindergarten teachers  very well. My observation of th kindergarten  classroom was what I expected it to be.
    Upon entering the classroom, I noticed how the room was bright. All the lights were on but the light was  bright enough. The classroom was a very small classroom, which tables were either in groups with alot of tables together and one table were next to the teacher desk. The chairs were just right  for the children. There was a block center. There also was a reading center. The classroom lacked a carpet in which chilren sit on for reading time. The classrrom had its own area for the art center even though it was lebeled by the sick, but there were art supplies. The classroom had no chalkboard or whiteboard. Instead, the teacher had to roll in a board and place it in the room temporarily. There were cubbies for children to put their coats and bookbags in. The classroom had almost everything for  a child’s development and education
    The students in the classroom were generally well behaved. There were the occasional students who needed to be spoken to more than once. Some students were able to read fluently while others were still struggling with there letters. The teachers had diferent tactics to calm down the students. One of which was to send a crying student next door to the Pre-K classroom. There, he took a nap and returned when he was “ready to learn”.
    The classroom had labels everywhere, including the chairs and the garbage cans. The room was very organized. Kept pencils that were placed in a container labeled “pencils”. The art center had art supplies.  There was a bathroom in the classroom, but the bathroom was . The teachers desk had papers but was very organized and the math center was very organized with different math materials. The students were not able to get materials on their own except for pencils and books from the library. Play was also a part of their schedule (they did have different materials that were used for dramactic play ).
     The classroom had a big sign that informed everyone of the schedule for the day. There also was a small schedule posted on the front of the door for the whole week, in case the classroom door was locked and a parent wanted to pick up a child. The big schedule in the classroom and the small schedule outside the door did correlate. The teacher followed the schedules in their daily routines which made the assignments very organized. Working with this grade made me realize how much time and afford that is being placed and making the classroom fun and a good environment for the children.